Thursday, December 6, 2007

TryHard

This morning going through my newsfeeds as my alter ego dataphage I found this article in Scientific American linked to. In essence it states that children see talent as the means to success and effort as pointless and not valuable at all. If they don?t achieve at the first attempt they will consider giving up or cheating to get good grades.

To my mind this is not just an American problem this is a part of westernised culture at large where individual brilliance is lauded more than enterprise and collective endeavour. Success is somehow supposed to effortlessly as the result of talent. This is an attitude I encounter in people my own age and younger (I?m 30). This is the way TryHard became a derogatory term and is probably the reason much of the under 30?s group seems to be so badly regarded by the other age groups at the moment. It is, I might add, almost certainly the result of an education system skewed by favouring individual achievement and talent to the detriment of the kind of skills you actually need in life.

*Climbs off soapbox*

No comments:

Post a Comment